The Lock Legion is dead. What do we do?

Don't spam here. We don't care if it's your birthday.
LazyPix3l

The Lock Legion is dead. What do we do?

Post by LazyPix3l »

It seems like this happens every year, huh?

With Mario Lock being outed as a creep as of recent, we have unfortunately lost one of our major contributors of the Lock Legion, leaving the Lock Legion in a state of dormancy once again. Almost every year, it looks like the Lock Legion happens to be dormant for MONTHS before finally someone gets the group together to do a collab or something, just to be inactive once again. Allow me to go into a bit of a retrospective, if you will...
After the glorious Lock Legion revival in 2021, and it continuing into the beginning of 2022, a lot of drama and conflict happened within the Legion that led us into a state of inactivity (partially my fault, apologies). Even after Octarian Lock I tried to bring back activity to the Legion with the Commercial Collab, it never went through due to how bad the inactivity was. Even with Lock Day coming along, we only ended up getting two submissions in total. One from me, and one from Mario Lock.
I think this is what led to me starting the Weird Science collab in an effort to try and bring the Legion back together, which actually did succeed! And it seemed to bring back some attention to the Legion as well, since we ended up getting a 2nd place award on Newgrounds, as well as a "Underdog of the week" award!
Once again though, the legion went into a state of dormancy. Only Mario Lock was making some cartoons for the legion. Again though, we were able to bring the group back together for the annual Lock Day 2023 event. And then silence.
See what I mean? Everytime we try to bring back the legion, it seems like we go back into dormancy once again, and that's only after I make a big noise about it. I don't want to have to do that every time, make a big fuss about the next collab or event, JUST so we can have a pulse.
As much as I'd love to bring attention to the Legion every year, I have things to do. Fuck, I'm making a whole ass show this year, where I am the ONLY animator. I won't have as much time to dedicate to the Legion this year unfortunately, and I'm scared that the Legion will just fade into obscurity if I don't do anything about it.
So... what do we do? What can we do to break this trend? Maybe the answer is to make more cartoons of course and make a bit more noise, but it's not that simple. All that will do is guarantee that the Lock Legion will MAYBE stay a little more relevant in the public eye for a bit. MAYBE.
The thing is, we can't just rely on another collab or event to bring us back into the spotlight. No, we need something a little bit bigger than that. We need something that will bring some awareness and interest into the Legion.
I've had a few ideas myself... I specifically had an idea where I can make a cartoon as an introduction the Lock Legion. Maybe introduce some people to the legion, as well as just be generally interesting and funny. If it does well enough, it could drum up some hype for the Legion.
I've had another idea as well. Last year, I was discussing with Tom Fulp of a potential April Fools Lock Legion takeover! Specifically, last year the Clock Crew ended up doing a fake Clock Day on April Fools, so I came up with the idea of potentially retaliating with a follow up Lock Legion takeover, where for a single day, all of us can flood the Portal with Lock Legion films. I feel like this is the most likely plan that could work if everyone contributes, and Tom has mentioned that he would be open to the idea.
But what do you all think? I want this post to be less of a mourning of the Legion, but more of a discussion of how we can bring back attention to the Legion, as well as a way to get some new members possibly. I want to hear everyone's ideas on how we can do this. I believe in us!

TL;DR, The Lock Legion is in a loop of dormancy. How can we break the loop?

-Beans Lock (Jonah G.)

Hairspray Lock

Re: The Lock Legion is dead. What do we do?

Post by Hairspray Lock »

I like the idea of a CC Day take over!

TrashLock
Site Admin

Re: The Lock Legion is dead. What do we do?

Post by TrashLock »

Maybe it's because I'm over 30 and have already gone through this with my IRL friends ... but we should just lower our expectations and see the Lock Legion as a group of buddies who see each other once a year - and it's always like the good old days.

As long as either this website, the discord or the YT channel are up, the Lock Legion will never die.