So you wanna make animations in the 2020s...

Suggest stuff?
PS: The movies on the front page will not be changed so stop suggesting that.
Samegame

So you wanna make animations in the 2020s...

Post by Samegame »

Hey dudes and dudettes!

I'm taking suggestions and ideas on what it means to be an animator in the 2020s

What platforms can we post our cartoons on?

Do you have any neat ideas for exposure?

Supplemental questions:

Should the lock legion not fade away, what does that mean for the lock legion?

How can we organize on those platforms?

Courgette

Re: So you wanna make animations in the 2020s...

Post by Courgette »

Honestly, I’ve been thinking a lot about what it would mean to move away from ‘Flash’ centered to art-centered, and how that would impact the community and forums.

Personally through the years I’ve become much more skilled in After Effects than Flash, and if I want to pick up anything to learn it would be Blender.

If LL is to keep this upward trend of activity and community, I would love it to be a motivating force for me to try to learn Blender the way it helped me learn Flash way back when.

I guess what I’m saying is that I would like to see LL facilitate and challenge each other to grow in art through many mediums, not just Flash.

The problem there of course, is that it’s very broad and lacks a clear identity as a community.

TrashLock
Site Admin

Post by TrashLock »

For me it was always obvious that we call it "Flash" for the convenience of the word. LL has always been about art and, productivity in general. That includes making 3D stuff, still or animated, but also obviously video games and maybe less obviously software engineering. I got into it and got a lot of practice from running LLv4 in the past and I believe that was the case for Dia and Sunshine as well!

I think we should dual-post animated content to YouTube and Newgrounds, seeing as Newgrounds is dead now. Which is why I would recommend that for animated content: we put a rule that there should be no user interaction stuff. That means being able to export the content to mp4 and share it all around. It's a bit sad that the interactive movie format is going to pretty much die with Flash

For the rest of artwork, I really have no idea. Maybe have a LL Instagram account? And for games, I have no idea. Obviously Flash Fondler has already sunk into nothingness thanks to Newgrounds so maybe there's a better platform for it. And don't say Steam ;)

pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

TrashLock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 am
For the rest of artwork, I really have no idea. Maybe have a LL Instagram account? And for games, I have no idea. Obviously Flash Fondler has already sunk into nothingness thanks to Newgrounds so maybe there's a better platform for it. And don't say Steam ;)
I've been saying this for a while now; I think that the Lock Legion concept would lend itself phenomenally well to mobile games. It's basically a brand with a lot of characters that already have defined characters. Basically like Angry Birds or something.
There would be no limitation on what kind of games we could make, any genre basically, but all under the LL brand. It most definitely is recognizable.

Rammstein

Post by Rammstein »

Comics like polandball / countryball is a theme and form that would work well for the LL I think, but it would be hard to reach an audience without a proper channel like a dedicated site/subreddit, and the inside jokes would probably make it appreciated mostly by us :lol:

Anyhow; comics could be something to think about for those of us who are too lazy to make proper flashes

Samegame

Post by Samegame »

What sites do you guys feel are essential to posting / streaming your work besides Newgrounds and Youtube?

I feel like if we are going to stick around this time as a community we probably should be places where we can attract members who would help us grow and that they would grow with us as well.

Part of what always attracted to me about a community of fellow artists is it always helped me strive to do better. I would always see the great stuff other people were posting and it really helped me learn.

DCV

Post by DCV »

We could do something similar to Oney's channel where he and some other dudes just draw shit based on a theme and try to make each other laugh. I'm sure there must be a way to set up a twitch stream that would let someone moderate and switch between feeds while we draw, and then we just talk over it and make the degenerate jokes we all like. Then we can cut it together a little more neatly and reupload to youtube.

Another thing to do is just make meme-y little quick animations for shit like instagram/ snapchat/ whatever the fuck a tiktok is. little 10 second jokes that will travel on the more social media oriented platforms. Not necessarily as a primary outlet, but more as just a way to make some shit we can see fairly easy reposts on.

As for other platforms, I really don't know. Youtube is obviously dominant for video, and Newgrounds only really seems like it would be a useful place to upload uncensored versions of stuff. That will be the biggest hurdle with youtube, TBH. Their community guidelines are weirdly strict and nebulous. I think the only real way for the Lock Legion to grow is to start pumping art out to the socials and then have a submission process on the website to have proper animations submitted through a main LL youtube account. The way youtube works, the only way I can think that this could work would be to have a primary locklegion account act as the tentpole where the main stuff comes out of and then have that account link to individual members' accounts if they want and then use the playlist system to have other member's uploads mixed in with the LL account's uploads. The community outreach on youtube is pretty piss-poor outside of just uploading videos that address the audience, but it's sort of the only system that exists in the current landscape so we may just have to work within it.

EDIT: All of that it mostly just in addition to normal people art outlets like deviantart and furaffinity, of course.

pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

DCV wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 am
We could do something similar to Oney's channel where he and some other dudes just draw shit based on a theme and try to make each other laugh. I'm sure there must be a way to set up a twitch stream that would let someone moderate and switch between feeds while we draw, and then we just talk over it and make the degenerate jokes we all like. Then we can cut it together a little more neatly and reupload to youtube.
I really like that idea. Is someone here good with streaming and all that?

DCV

Post by DCV »

pumpkin wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:03 am
DCV wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 am
I really like that idea. Is someone here good with streaming and all that?
I found this reddit post that seems to be doing something very similar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comment ... asibility/

That honestly doesn't sound too terribly difficult. It seems like so long as we had a step by step tutorial for how to set up the individual streams for each participant, the difficult bit would be for whoever was switching.

This guy suggests just using a video conference to input all the streams, but that's probably going to be bad for quality. Might be doable for the live stream, but everyone would still need to record their own footage so that we could re-cut for the finished version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comment ... eras_from/

This guy says there's a program called "infiniscene" that I've never heard of that basically does what we want. The post is from 4 years ago, but their website looks like it's current. Anyone familiar with this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comment ... computers/

Leper Jann Reapson

Post by Leper Jann Reapson »

I hear youtube's a fun place to put animations...

so long if you're not concerned with demonetization, lack of views, need to put boobs for clickbait, etc.