How do you handle cutting between shots?

Have questions regarding art / animation? Have no fear, post right here!
SkorLock

How do you handle cutting between shots?

Post by SkorLock »

When animating something with multiple shots/angles in flash/animate, how do you handle those in the timeline? Do you have all of the shots in one timeline? Do you divide them into multiple scenes? If you do put them in their own scenes, do you have one scene for each shot and use actionscript to jump between the different shots within the project? That seems like the most organized approach, but I would expect it to break streaming audio.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to manage quite a few shot reverse-shots in one flash project.

Samegame

Re: How do you handle cutting between shots?

Post by Samegame »

There may be a more efficient way...

For me it depends. If I have background music it has to be the same scene. I'll just empty the keyframe (F7) if I'm not lazy I will create new layers and make sure they are all named so I know which is which. If there's no background music I will just make a new scene.

I think probably in this day and age actionscript is probably not useful since flash will no longer work at the end of this year.

If anybody has a better way to deal with this I would love to hear it.

CloudLock

Post by CloudLock »

If it's multiple angles within the same scene, then definitely in the same timeline. You just use dem keyframes to set up your other shots and copy them where needed. Scenes are more used when you have a completely different, well, scene in a different location.

zteagh

Post by zteagh »

I completely forgot scenes were even a thing. I just keyframe it and give my layers more general names. like this:
actor layers are where i put characters or whatever moving objects. this way i can avoid lots of layers (ie named layers for each character + their lockface) that otherwise would be left unused in some shots

Mp3 Lock

Post by Mp3 Lock »

I only used scenes to split my movie by say menus/movie/credits

Usually I just end all keyframes at the same time and start all new keyframes at the cut. Then put a keyframe over all of them for a quick fadeout or whatever.

Lemming

Post by Lemming »

I typically start with the audio/script and then cut to that. Helps with timing. Requires having both angles on the timeline, then cutting away is just removing the top layers frames for the duration of the shot
boats and hoes

DCV

Post by DCV »

It depends on how complex the shots are. If it's something where there's a bajillion layers going on, I might cut it up into different scenes. But if I'm syncing sound/ music between the shots, I am less likely to do this. I might just drop all the layers for each shot into a different folder to keep track of them, or else I might just try to consolidate a bunch of layers into one object (which is super lazy, always caused me more problems than it was worth, and I have no idea if the newest flash will do this the way I used to in 8 without completely shitting the bed). Realistically, you should just storyboard everything beforehand to figure out the pacing, chop up the audio by shot, and go from there. I am a bad, lazy, backwards person, and I rarely storyboard my shit out and I have a tendency to want to go back and fuck with the pacing and move stuff around at the end as if I were editing video, which is why I have bad habits. I'm also speaking as someone who has only cracked flash open again in the last few weeks after several years of not touching it much, so take that for what it's worth.

SkorLock

Post by SkorLock »

Thanks for the input folks, it looks like I'll be sticking with all shots in a single scene's timeline. Since we're doing MP4s these days I could conceivably export the shots separately and cut the shots together in a video editor and insert the background audio at that point -- just food for thought.